We have an opportunity to partner with Graham Elementary, the Family Service Center, Westminister Presbyterian Church, and other people in the community to be a blessing to children at Graham Elementary School.
Beginning on Tuesday, October 16th a new Compass program will start for Graham students and be held at Westminster. The program will take place from 3 PM to 6:30 PM every Tuesday that Graham is in session. Compass is a free after-school program for homeless and low-income elementary students. The goal of the program is to help all of the students through tutoring, life skills/enrichment, and a full balanced dinner to perform academically at or above grade level.
To do this, the program needs volunteers and support. For us, this is an opportunity to demonstrate the love of God for children who could benefit from love from additional caring adults in their life. Ideally volunteers will be able to be there most Tuesdays. There are different roles and time slots for volunteers to fill.
Schedule for the program:
– 3:00 – 3:15 – Walk from Graham to Westminster
– 3:15 – 3:45 – Snack
– 3:45 – 4:15 – Homework
– 4:15 – 5:15 – Life Skills Lessons
– 5:15 – 5:45 – Family Style Dinner
– 5:45 – 6:30 – Finish homework/games
There are multiple ways you can be a part of this!
– tutor/mentor – pick your favorite age group and help out with homework, work with a child during homework
– kitchen helper – set up snack and dinner, clean up after each
– life skills instructor – commit one hour a week for one month, teach 10 students about one of your hobbies
– donate – from time to time there will be needs ranging from school supplies to clothing
For more information you can check out the Compass web site.
If you have any questions or would like to volunteer, you can email Josh.